Friday, December 03, 2004

Spilling the Beans

Victor Conte tells all in this article on ESPN.com.

He details his involvement in highest levels of track & field, baseball and football. Anyone who had ANY thoughts that elite sport is clean, should think again.

This article simply confirms what all of us that are/were involved in Track & Field at the elite level suspected. If you want to get paid, you have to juice. All of us made different choices. Some chose to do it clean, some chose to cheat. I chose to do it clean. I ran fast, but not fast enough. Would I have made lots of $$ if I cheated? Yes.

Why didn't I? Because I knew that one day I would be a coach. How could I preach about accountability, integrity and sportsmanship knowing what choices I made in the past?

Despite the recent revelations about Marion Jones, Jason Giambi, and Barry Bonds, I fear that many young, gifted athletes will choose to cheat just like their heroes.





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog. Very thoughful posts. Keep the posts coming. Mike

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about professional athletes who choose to use steriods (Barry Bonds is maintaining--at least at the time I write this--that he did not KNOWINGLY use steriods). Pro sports are not really about competition, but about entertainment. Home runs, LOTS of them, are without question more entertaining than just a few (which never seem to occur when you're at the game). Professionals who knowingly choose to risk their health and being charged with a crime for using drugs without a proper prescription know exactly what they're getting into; if they are willing to shoulder those risks to get a bigger paycheck for hitting more homers, what's it to us fans? And I don't buy that crap about kids emulating these athletes. High school and college programs don't have to negotiate with a Players Association to institute firm, enforceable drug testing rules.

P.S. Love your blog; you shall be hereafter bookmarked! Congrats.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home