Monday, December 06, 2004

Sanity Post #1

My apologies in advance. This post is purely for my own sanity. Writing helps me clear my mind of clutter, so bear with me (or click 'Back' on your browser-no hard feelings!).

Man, I am wiped out. I'm a complete zombie. I usually don't feel like this until the end of the indoor season (Mid-March), but this is a whole different ballgame. No enthusiasm for practice, no enthusiasm to write training plans for the next 6-8 weeks...ugh. It is kind of disconcerting because coaching has always been a "flow-like" activity for me. Time just flies by, everything is easy. Recently, however, that has not been the case. I can't even complain about my athletes. They have been great all semester. I'm just absolutely smoked. I have got to learn how to be more balanced...I think that is why I'm so prone to burnout. Unfortunately, me and balanced don't seem to get along very well. Must be the whole Type-A personality thing.

Maybe things will get better once we start competing. Hope so.




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coach:

So sorry to hear of your case of brain cramps. Is it the weather? A full moon? Hey, face it, coaching is a JOB, and any job can cause burnout, even one you truly love.

I am also a Type-A personality. The best advice I ever got was to step back on occasion (best done before you start going nuts) and take a break by doing nothing. Take a nap. Go to the movies in the middle of the day. Just do ANYTHING to break out of your routine for a day. Regroup. Breathe. Go for a run. Get laid. Write. Whatever, as long as it's thoroughly enjoyable.
Then go back to your coaching with the attitude that your break brought you a new perspective, new energy to see and take on new challenges. Yeah, it's the same job, but it's a new you.

Repeat as regularly as needed. Give yourself a break, Coach!

5:07 PM  
Blogger JRH said...

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, perspective is always a good thing. I'm just not really good at finding it. Hopefully the semester break will provide some relief.

7:38 PM  
Blogger SportsProf said...

Hi Coach:

1. You need a break. Try to get away from the routine, do something different, and, hopefully, you'll appreciate what you do more.

2. Relish the opportunities you have, as a lot of people would probably love to have your job, love to coach kids and have an impact on their lives. Everyone remembers their teachers and coaches, but how many other professions form an indelible part of people's memories?

3. Keep blogging, share your wisdom, how you approach coaching -- find your voice. That's what makes blogging fun, and I'm sure you have a lot to share.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home