Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Prodigal Son Falls From Grace

(I know I'm late with this, but I'll weigh in anyway)

Justin Gatlin. The face of USA Track and Field. The future of US sprinting.

Oops.

Gatlin's recent positive test only further underscores the basic fact that MANY world-class sprinters are using some sort of performance enhancement. It's kind of comical to watch the outrage and shock of the media and even those who follow the sport closely.

I'm afraid that this type of "breaking news" isn't going to stop anytime soon for the following reasons:

  1. The testers will always be 1-2 steps behind the dopers.
  2. The compensation structure in Track & Field is basically "Perform for Pay". In other words, you need to run fast to get paid. Endorsement contracts for track athletes aren't very lucrative. You make your money at the meets.
As I alluded to in another post, the doping measures will soon be getting ugly. The days of pharmacological means are coming to an end, and genetic manipulation will be the new thing.

I can hear the testers banging their heads against the wall now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home