Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday Night Football: Next Generation

Just wanted to jot down some notes about the new Monday Night Football crew. If you have just come out of a coma, MNF will be on ESPN and the announcing trio is Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann, and Tony Kornheiser.

My critique:

Mike Tirico: Solid and steady as always. Consummate play-by-play guy. I've always enjoyed his work on the college fb broadcasts and he is going to continue his excellence on MNF.

Tony Korhneiser: Surprisingly, GREAT! I've listened to his radio show and obviously enjoyed him on PTI like most of America. I have to say, however, when I found out that he would be the 3rd guy in the MNF booth, I really didn't see how that was going to work. Alas, so far is doing what he does best: being Tony. Smart, funny, trademark razor-sharp wit.

And that brings me to...

Joe Theismann: In a word: Yuck. In the first half, all Joe has done is basically undermine 90% of everything that has come out of Tony's mouth. Kinda like, "Shut up nerd. I played the game, you didn't." Plus, I'm not getting very much good "football analysis" from him. He is playing a great role as "Captain Obvious", though.

Some of my favorites from him tonight:
  • "Brad Johnson is not a downgrade from Daunte Culpepper"
  • "Offensive linemen must move their feet to make blocks"
Wow.

Oh well, as some famous '70s rocker sang: "Two out of three ain't bad".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coach, you're dead on about Tirico & Theismann. The jury is still out on Kornheiser. He seems a little ill-at-ease sometimes, like he's waiting for his cue to speak. And it bugged me that he cried like a little girl at his reviews (especially how he went off on Mike Golic). But he's still a gazillion times better than Dennis Miller...

Pass the Meatloaf, please. ("Two Out of Three Ain't Bad")

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home